Sunday, October 27, 2013

Starstruck

Hello. It's been a while, yeah? Life kind of gets in the way. Like, a lot. Anyhow, yesterday was pretty cool...

I went out to eat with some girls from my hall and who did I see waiting in line for food? Why, none other than MisterEpicMann. He's this guy on YouTube who makes these crazy-insane-hilarious videos (his most popular: "How Animals Eat Their Food"). I knew he went to my school and that he was around (I'm pretty sure he lives off campus) but this was my first time seeing him this semester. Okay. False. I thought I saw him in our cafeteria about a month ago, but I wasn't sure at the time, and when I came by that area again, he was gone.

So, anyway, this was him. It was really, definitely, totally him. And I died a little. I pointed him out to my friends and made a crack about taking a picture with him (or someone told me to, I don't remember which). Then, like the little chicken I am, I sat there going "No, I can't. I can't. Oh okay. Just kidding. I can't." I sat down and stood up two or three times before one of my friends finally grabbed me by the arm and started walking me towards him.

I WAS SO EMBARRASSED. There he was, just standing in line with his buddies, and here I come, fumbling along like a pathetic little fangirl. In an attempt to get his attention, I started out with a really long "Heeeeeyyyyy," and then continued with "Can I take a picture with you? Is that weird?" And somewhere in the middle of the 'can I take a picture with you' part, I mentally registered that he hadn't turned yet, so I touched his arm to make sure I had his attention. I TOUCHED HIS FREAKING ARM!

Later, I told myself this was probably borderline rude. But I did it very gently. And I'm pretty sure I wasn't making eye contact (because I'm awkward).

This is the picture. See his perfect face? And my "ehhrr" one?
He was basically the coolest, nicest, sweetest guy ever. I exaggerate. But he was really, really cool about it. He just laughed and was like "Yeah sure!" and he kept laughing and smiling the whole time. My friend was using my phone to take the picture (my archaic, three year old, weird, flaky phone). We both stood there, and he put his arm around my shoulder, and I put my arm around his waist (and continued to die a little more) and we smiled. And then she told us it was too dark (we were standing in front of a window). So we both flipped around and she tried to take it with the sun facing us, but then reported that she couldn't get it to work. But then was like "Oh, wait, I took it." or some derivative of that. It was great. Actually, I kind of look like a dork but that's because I was mortified beyond belief that my phone was stupid and my adrenaline was still pumping because not only did I actually SPEAK to him but then he had HIS ARM around MY SHOULDERS. Gosh.

He fit kind of perfectly, by the way...

Anyhow, after she took the picture, he turned to me and asked me my name. I didn't expect this at all and because there was no time to think, I actually was able to coherently blurt it out. And then he told me his and shook my hand, and I don't remember if anything else happened. I'm not even sure I said thank you.

"Oookay, Andrea. Cool story, I guess...What's your point?"

Did you read what I just wrote? And did you notice all of my little self-deprecating statements? And did you catch on to the way that I sort of elevated him to a status of higher personage than myself? (I'm not sure I'm using the term "higher personage" correctly...or that that's even a term...) But did you catch that?

Yeah. That's what being starstruck is apparently like. And I've since then played those moments over and over and OVER in my mind, trying to relive the glory and excitement and joy of meeting him. But, for what purpose? He's a person. He's a person just like I'm a person. Granted, he's a person who I've spent probably hours watching on YouTube and laughing along with (because in his videos, he is a fantastic goof). But still, a person all the same.

I've met famous people before. I got a poster signed by Relient K and actually worked up the nerve (this was before I decided I was socially awkward) to ask Matt Thiessen to sign my shirt. I got a poster and t-shirt signed by Kutless. I took a picture with Jeremy Gray (he's the lead singer of one of my favorite bands, Ivoryline). My friend and I got a picture with Group 1 Crew. And only two of those times resulted in the whirl-wind, blurry-memory-type thinking that has been occurring for close to 24 hours now.

Why am I like this? Scratch that. Why is anyone like this after meeting famous people? In all reality, YouTube stars and Christian bands aren't even as well-known as some famous people. Some might not even consider them famous. But looking past that, what is the big deal with these people?

Idolization? Pedestalization? [<-- not a real word] Exaltation?
Essentially, placing them on a higher level than we, mere mortals, mere average citizens, mere...peasants in their metaphorical kingdom, place ourselves.

America is full of stupid. I sorta wish I could've just seen him as a person. Just a person. There were things I wanted to say to him but didn't remember until it was too late because my brain kept shorting out. And so now I'm just stuck here, daydreaming that we'll magically meet again and fall in love or something, while he's still living his life as a person who just happens to make funny YouTube videos (and will probably forget I exist).

I do, however, take some joy from the fact that I quite possibly made his day in a similar, though most likely lesser, way. How is this, you ask? Well, in my mind, I made him feel famous, and he made me feel special.

He also said "Bye guys" or something to that effect when he walked by our table on his way out the door. I then proceeded to sink into my chair and squeal like an overly excited baby pig. Sometimes I am SO LAME. But, again, his saying goodbye reinforces that he's a person. (He seems like a really cool guy and as one of my friends pointed out, he's the type of person you hope really does get famous. Like, famous famous.)

No comments:

Post a Comment