Friday, August 8, 2014

It Ain't About the Money

This is a soapbox post. You've been warned.

This summer I've grown up a lot. I've seen more of the world and understand a little bit better how it works. And I've noticed something seriously disgusting about it. People choose money over other people. And they do it everywhere, all the time.

I worked a human services job this summer and I'm not going into details because I'm honestly not sure how much I'd even be allowed to say. Talk to me in person if you want to know more about it. We're gonna suffice it to say that I heard a lot of really sad stories of people being kept in bad situations because someone, somewhere was getting money from it. The more I heard stories like that, the more I wanted to go scream.

And earlier today I just read an oh-so-lovely (sarcasm) article about how Mark Zuckerburg is forcing a new Facebook messenger app on smartphone users that has access to our microphones and cameras and contacts and all sorts of stuff that Zuckerburg should really have no interest in at all. I'm sure it's not the first digital thing that's extended a little too far into the lives of its consumers, but it's Facebook so it's hitting me a little harder. Facebook is my guilty pleasure and I probably hold it a little too near and dear sometimes.

Of course he's wanting access to all of that extra information for the purpose of selling it. Just another instance of money over people.

These are two different examples that stem from the same heart issue of greed. Of the more-more-more mentality. Of the American dream, I gotta have it all kind of people that we are today. And this blog is me, calling ALL of us out, on our crap. That's right. THIS IS CRAP.

And I say "all of us" because I know I've been guilty of treasuring my money a little bit too much at times too.

But here's the deal, friends. We're going to die. We will all die. I'm not trying to be creepy or morbid or doom-and-gloom. I'm giving you the honest facts. Death is inevitable. (And don't tell me taxes are because they're not, but that's another soapbox issue for another time.) We can't avoid it and we certainly can't buy our way out of it.

So, why on earth are we so consumed by owning everything on earth? Yes, I am coming at this topic from my worldview, which states that we all have eternal souls that either go to heaven or to hell, but even if you don't believe that, I'm sure you can agree with me that money can't save your life. Your time will run out and all of your stuff? All of those things you worked so hard for? It's all going to stay behind. You can bury it with you if you want, but it's just going to rot in the ground.

BUT if you put your hope in Christ and spend your life serving Him (which can sometimes, oftentimes, look like serving other people here) guess what? You get treasure in heaven! Treasure that lasts! Treasure that matters.

So, to those of you forcing people to stay in those bad situations - be they voiceless or misinformed - think about that. Think about what you're doing. Consider whether or not your money is worth it. The money that you will eventually leave behind.

And to those Mark Zuckerburg types - I don't think you really want to spy on all of my conversations. In fact, I KNOW you don't. But...if you really must have all my information, send me yours in exchange. Sound good? Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment