I, like many other tech-savvy (and even not-so-savvy) women, very much enjoy Pinterest. A relative of mine recently asked me what Pinterest was, and I started by saying "Virtual hoarding." All joking aside, I think it is a fantastic website, good for storing all sorts of nifty ideas, inspiring quotes, and funny pictures. However, I've noticed something else my female friends are pinning, and it's just not sitting right with me. Never has, and hopefully never will.
So, ladies, I'm calling you out. If you have a board on Pinterest - public OR private - that is devoted solely to collecting pictures of men you find attractive, I am speaking to YOU. On what level does this seem okay? I realize that Pinterest is used mainly by women, and I respect that. Most guys don't feel a need to gather wedding ideas, recipes, or future home renovation plans. BUT that doesn't mean it's okay for you to pin as many shirtless or handsomely attired men as you want. If Pinterest were a guy-dominant website, and you found out that a large majority of the users had boards of only pictures of half-naked, erotic looking women on them, would you not cry foul?
To me, this is a double standard. Ever heard of a YouTube page called "Blimey Cow"? Well, Jordan, one of the main users on that page, once pointed out that this is a double standard. I haven't been able to shake the thought since viewing that video.
My second problem with these boards is that the majority of them seem to be operated by my Christian friends. I'm not trying to draw uncomfortable lines or say that everything is okay for someone because he/she doesn't profess to be a believer, but for those of you who do, come now. What is the real implication of a board like that?
It's not porn. But don't tell me you don't still think borderline lustful (if not full-on lustful) thoughts while looking at those pictures of the actors, athletes and models. Don't tell me you don't feel some form of emotional rush. Don't tell me if Jesus was standing over your shoulder, looking at your computer screen, you'd feel PROUD to be basically objectifying the male portion of the human population.
I'm not trying to come at this with an "I'm holier than you because I don't pin pictures of attractive men" kind of attitude, but I am speaking as a sister concerned. Is it wise to have Pinterest boards like those? Is it necessary? Is it productive or God-honoring? I get it. And I'm most certainly not perfect. I'm sure I've pinned things that, were Jesus standing directly, physically behind me, I'd probably at least blush over. But, these all-men boards just feel, to me, to be obviously bad ideas.
I don't know. I hope that all made sense. Food for thought?
(p.s. For the record, I kind of hate "Man Crush Monday" and "Woman Crush Wednesday" too.)
No comments:
Post a Comment